Castlerea Golf Club

Castlerea Golf Club was founded on 9th September 1905. The course was originally located on the Ballymoe road at Harristown. It moved to its present location at Clonalis in 1907. The land was initially leased from the O’Conor Don family. In 1985, the members purchased the freehold interest in the lands. The club house was replaced in 1990/91 when the current building was erected. The club continues to develop the course and grounds and purchased additional lands in 2007. This new development is in close proximity to the famous Clonalis house, the historic seat of the O’Conor Don family.

Over the years Castlerea Golf Club has produced many fine and successful golfers. Bertie Briscoe was a member when winning the West of Ireland in 1928 and 1931. Miss Audrey O’Donohoe, whose father was a founder member of the club, represented Ireland from 1948 to 1953 and subsequently became Irish team captain. Rupert de Lacy Staunton was winner of the South of Ireland in 1965 and 1972. He played for Ireland from 1963 to 1973 during which time Ireland won the European Championship for the first time. Rupert also captained the Irish team for a number of years and was a Walker Cup selector. His father Maurice was president of the GUI in 1974.

Castlerea Golf Course is acknowledged as a fine example of a parkland 9 hole golf course. It comprises some 5682 yards and is built around a tributary of the river suck. The water and mature broadleaf trees represent an interesting challenge for all golfers.

Situated in close proximity to the town, the club is always delighted to welcome visitors.

Castlerea Golf Club

Visit the Castlerea Gof Club website, HERE, for more news and information.

Our Sponsors